Saturday, June 21, 2008

Success Through One Man's Eyes - Part II

Peace be with you!

Welcome to Part II of "Success Through One Man's Eyes." In this segment we will begin to break down, element by element, the 7 criteria I use to help define success "for me." I hope, by the end of this multiple segment article, you can express exactly what success means for you too. I challenge you to discover for yourself what success means so you can recognize it as an unintentionally produced byproduct of your journey to significance and not just some milestone to be obtained as an end.

The first element in my success line-up is "Single Mindedness." It's not something I use it's something I am, at least when I'm at my best. Being single minded, in my humble opinion, is yesteryears version of what is known today as focus. I hope I didn't scare off any multi-taskers. Being singled minded has more to do with your purpose or calling than not being able to do multiple projects simultaneously. In fact, you must be able to see the big picture and all of the elements of it working simultaneously within it. You must be clear about where you are going or you will go everywhere and nowhere. Eventually, time will become your enemy. It will erode your enthusiasm and I assure you it will cause you great pain.

Of course you may disagree, and that's okay because in this blog I get to determine my own arguments. (Chuckle) I do, however, recognize there are a number of schools of thought here. This just happens to be mine and I am guided by my experience, both the good and the bad, the achievements and the failures. I have learned how to learn from both of them.

Some say...focus on what you want, others say you can try too hard, you can concentrate too much! Well, I'm in the single minded school, primarily because I do believe that your energy follows your greatest intent...in other words your energy is somehow funneled to whatever you focus on. That's where the action is, after all nothing just happens. First there are thoughts, then there are actions. I've only experienced focused energy once, as a young man in sports. Great exhilaration accompanied that feeling and I will never forget it. I also know what it's like to spread my thoughts and energy out like a shotgun and although it's fun at times, it will not produce the type of achievement they write about in books and magazines.

So, I must conclude that single mindedness or focus is critical to success no matter how one views the end result, especially as it relates to a vision or purpose in your life Of course focus does not, by itself, define success. It is, however for me, an integral element and a lack of concentration dilutes the energy necessary to accomplish our dreams.

I encourage you to decide what your focus will be as early in life as possible; to prepare yourself with great zeal and to take immediate and prolonged action to develop yourself. Recognize the value of time and the role it plays in developing your purpose with single minded precision. Learn how to invest energy and time into yourself. When you do you will create a positive force, a life energy producing that which you focus on again and again. Oh, and by the way, write everything down. Leave no detail out! Open your mind to limitless awareness and thinking. I plead with you not to let your life energy dissipate by diluting it with the garbage of the world. Time is running out. You may think it to be infinite, but without a healthy respect for it and it's never ending movement you will only fool yourself into watering down one of your most powerful and exhaustible resources.

I have enjoyed these few moments with you. It is my privilege to be a part of your journey. Next time we get together we'll discuss how an unselfish heart determines what type of soil you'll be planting your seeds of success into.

Until then,

Peace be with you my friend!

No comments: